Date: 9th Sept 2010
Venue: Waltham House, Bradford Place
Present: Tricia Griffiths (chair), Catherine Wenger (minute taker), Tony Cooke, Russell Jones, Anthony Slaughter, Nonn Vaughan. (Anthony and Nonn were present to report on the groups in which they are involved.)
Apologies: Phil Rapier, Ramesh Patel, Mary Taster
(To be completed by next mtg unless stated otherwise
||Declarations of interest
||Review of previous meeting minutes and Matters Arising|
|Previous minutes accepted as accurate record.
VCVS – CW reported back on review of documents. Noted that as members we are entitled to use them for legal advice.
Insurance – We are now insured with British Trust for Conservation Volunteers (BCTV) to provide insurance for GPG.
Masters Students project
– CW gave update on work with Cardiff University. Lecturer, Julie Gwilliam is coming to General Meeting on Sept 14th.
– JG is in the process of preparing the module which will include working with GPG. CW to meet with her to look at details.
Solar Panels in Penarth project
– The Penarth Society has contacted TG regarding a possible joint project looking at adding dollar panels to Penarth homes. They are considering forming a social enterprise group to pursue. TG had had an initial discussion with Lis Burnett from the Penarth Society on this idea.
– Ideas for possible locations include schools, TC’s college, Cogan Leisure centre, terraces being refurbished by councils, as well as private homes.
– Could either be privately funded individual schemes or ‘rent a roof’.
– WAG have grants for facilitation and research projects
– Could use Energy Saving Trust Greening Community advice – see item below.
– Possible to arrange a web-based scheme to match borrowers and lenders for financing.
– GPG/ Penarth Society role could range from simply providing information to helping organise bulk buying and installation.
– Agreed this would be an interesting and relevant project for GPG to be involved with, and that it would make sense to explore working with the Penarth Society on this.
– TG to let Chris Wyatt know we are interested.
– TG to send Lis TC and RJ email address so Lis can arrange meeting with TC and RJ to find out more.
Canton Carbon Cutters
– CW reported that the Canton Carbon Cutters scheme is done with the aid of the Greener Community part of the Energy Saving Trust.
– They can provide up to three days free consultation on community projects aimed at reducing energy consumption in the home.
– CW to contact and see what assistance they could provide for solar panel project.
– TG & Nonn Vaughan attended the Cittaslow meeting organised by Penarth Town Council.
– Next meeting will be in Oct to review the application process.
– Apart from the Town Council, main groups involved so far are GPG and Penarth Society.
– CW reviewed information available on Vale of Glamorgan Planning website
– Sustainability statement very bland and generic.
– Plans show winding path down to marina as
– No suggested actions for GPG since planning has been approved and construction is underway
– However would be good to keep an eye on future planning applications and comment early in the planning process
Committee members – Still looking for new treasurer for next year.
TG reported GPG currently have £1603.20 in the bank. Expenditure from the £1,000 grant from Environment Wales (mostly publicity and insurance) amounted to £515.
– Ian Harvey through Keep Wales Tidy, Tidy Towns and Environment Wales has advised again that a small grant could be allocated to a particular project. (Same note as last meeting)
– Co-op grant – CW did comparison of the aims and objectives of GPG and the Transition movement. It was agreed that the aims were differently expressed but the same in essence. TG to apply for £2000 from the Co-op grant that required us to demonstrate our aims were similar. CW to post summary to website.
||Project updates Plastic Bag Scheme
Plot share scheme
– Cedar Way (originally 28 allotments, abandoned due to poor conditions.)
– Park off Wordsworth Avenue (Golden Gate Park?) originally set aside as a community space – currently has small play area.
– Hickman Road site – opposite Blockbusters (may be difficult to obtain permission from owner)
Next committee meeting
Thurs 21st Oct – 7.30pm at Waltham House, Bradford Place.