Here are some links to good sources of information & advice on how you could live a more sustainable life, and to local organisations working on similar issues to GPG.
You can calculate your carbon footprint using online calculators – these will give you ideas on what you can do to reduce your carbon footprint.
Reducing waste, recycling and saving energy
- Vale Council Waste and Recycling – information on local recycling services.
- Recycle for Wales – information and tips on recycling
- Love food, hate waste – advice on reducing food waste.
- The Energy Saving Trust provides advice for individuals on how to make your home more energy-efficient.
- Switching to a green energy tariff – find out more and for help to switch; Good Energy, Ecotricity and Green Energy UK are currently the only companies supplying electricity to domestic UK customers from renewable sources.
Try switching car journeys for public transport, and cycle or walk for short journeys – better for your health as well as for our environment.
- Traveline Cymru – public transport information service for Wales
- Public Transport in the Vale of Glamorgan & Cardiff
- Keep Cardiff Moving for information on sustainable travel in our capital city
- Sustrans Cymru campaign for better cycling, information on National cycle Networks
- Nextbike Cardiff for information on hiring a bike in Cardiff
- Go Ultra Low provides advice on electric vehicles
- Car sharing can work well for some journeys – try BlaBlacar or Liftshare.com
- Shop Penarth – shop locally and get rewards and discounts from local businesses.
- RCMA Farmers’ Markets – regular farmers’ markets in Cardiff (Riverside – Sundays, Roath (Saturdays), Rhiwbina and Llandaff (fortnightly Fridays). Local producers and businesses.
- Vale Farmers Markets – in Penarth (Westbourne school yard) and Cowbridge (Arthur John’s Car Park).
Eating Less Meat
Eating less meat is likely to be good for your health and for the planet.
- Meat Free Mondays gives encouragement to skip meat one day a week.
- These websites have lots of information on becoming a Flexitarian (vegetarians who eat meat occasionally), or a Vegetarian or Vegan (plant-based) diet.
- Cardiff Community Energy aims to plan, install and manage community owned renewable energy systems in and around Cardiff.
- There are a few Transition Towns in the area: Transition Llantwit, Transition Cowbridge and Cardiff Transition.
- Cardiff XR Group – a global movement to highlight the Extinction crisis and climate emergency
Suggestions of useful links for this list are welcome, particularly those with local relevance. Please comment below, or email us at email@example.com